Cranks Homity Pie
Cranks Homity Pies
A good old English country recipe – one of the most popular at Cranks.
you will need
- 300g / 10oz wholemeal shortcrust pastry (see separate recipe or page 230 Cranks Recipe Book)
- 350g / ¾lb potatoes
- 450g / 1lb onions
- 45ml / 3 tbsp Oil
- 25g / 1oz butter or margarine
- 15g / ½oz parsley, chopped
- 100g / 4oz cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15ml / 1 tbsp milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
how to make
- Roll out the pastry and use to line six 4” (10 cm) individual tins or foil dishes.
- Boil or steam the potatoes until tender.
- Chop the onions, then sauté in the oil until really soft.
- Combine the potatoes and onions, add the butter, parsley, 2 oz (50 g) cheese, garlic, milk, and season well to taste.
- Cool, then use to fill the pastry cases.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven at 220 Deg C (425 Deg F/Mark 7) for 20 minutes, until golden.
Alternatively, use to make one 8” (20 cm) flan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.