Brazil & Cashew Nut Roast
Cranks Brazil & Cashew Nut Roast with Chestnut Stuffing and Red Wine Sauce
Serve this for any celebration - the ribbon of chestnut stuffing makes it extra special.
you will need
- 75g / 3oz butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 175g / 6oz brazil nuts, finely ground
- 175g / 6oz cashew nuts, toasted or finely ground
- 50g / 2oz flaked millet
- 50g /2oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 100g / 4oz potato or parsnip, cooked & mashed
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp curry powder (optional)
- ½ lemon, juice and rind
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- Stock or white wine to mix
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 225g / 8oz chestnut puree
how to make
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan, add the onion and cook until transparent.
- Then add the garlic and celery and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and put in a large bowl together with the remaining ingredients (except the puree) and season generously.
- Mix well to a firm consistency.
- Press half the mixture into a greaseproof paper-lined 2lb loaf tin, spread chestnut puree over the mixture then top with the remaining mixture. Bake in the oven an 190'C (375F/GM5) for 45 minutes- 1 hour until golden brown.
- Serve sliced with red wine sauce or onion gravy.
Nutties (to serve with drinks)
- Make half the quantity of the nut mixture and shape into 24 small balls.
- Fry in shallow fat until golden all over
- Drain on kitchen paper
- Serve warm or cold